The ENVIS Centre at CPREEC was established in April 2004 by the Environmental Information System (ENVIS) of the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF), Government of India and assigned the responsibility for being the focal point for the thematic area of Ecological Heritage and Sacred Sites of India.
Core Activities of the ENVIS Centre at CPREEC:
- To collect information on the various aspects of India's ecological traditions.
- To collate all the relevant information on ecological traditions in the form of books, booklets, research papers and article abstracts etc.
- To develop a database on "Ecological Tradition" using selected parameters.
- To provide easy access of all relevant information and data vide our main website (www.ecoheritage.cpreec.org) which is updated regularly.
- To respond to user queries received vide email, post or telephone.
- To raise awareness among the masses about our ecological traditions.
- To develop a network with all National and International Sources on the subject area.
- Field surveys and research on the various aspects of ecological heritage have been conducted in the city of Chennai and in the rest of the state of Tamilnadu. This is to be extended to the southern states and later to the entire country.
- The Centre disseminates the collected information by organising seminars, workshops & conferences periodically and also with the help of newsletters / publications. This helps in a better understanding and appreciation of India's ancient ecological traditions by the masses.
ENVIS PARTNERS - SUBJECT AREA